Friday, February 19, 2010

Inspiration Station: Balsamic Vinegar Saves The Day!

Balsamic Vinegar is extremely versatile.  Its acidic sweetness adds a robust bouquet to both vegetables and meats.  I've even seen a few unique desserts that call for a touch of it, as well.

I personally find the versatility of balsamic vinegar very inspiring.  The flavor stands on its own, which allows it to shine as a star ingredient in multiple recipes.

In addition to its wonderful flavor and versatility, balsamic vinegar also has saved dinner in my kitchen!  My husband and I follow a strict grocery budget, and by the end of the week, supplies can get a little sparse, necessitating a bit of creativity.

Such was the case a few weeks ago.  The only fresh ingredients on hand were two tomatoes and a a few remaining chicken breasts.  All other available ingredients included shelf-stable items such as rice, spices, and...vinegar!  I just had to figure out how to put everything together to form a suitable meal.

So I made some skillet chicken, roasted the diced tomatoes with the chicken, and just as the tomatoes were beginning to break down, I drizzled the balsamic vinegar over the whole thing.  To add some depth, I sprinkled a packet of dry chicken gravy over everything.  I stirred the skillet contents until the juices from the tomatoes and chicken mixed with the gravy and began to get thick and pasty.  A little milk to make it saucy, and it tasted fantastic over rice!  The full recipe is here.



The balsamic vinegar was incredible, and its flavor made a simple chicken and rice dish delectably unique.

Here are some other favorite recipes of Virginia and Corky starring balsamic vinegar:

Mozzarella Ball Salad and variations
Balsamic Steak Tenderloins
Tangy Pork Chops
Simple Spaghetti Squash
Tuna Salad