Saturday, February 6, 2010

Soup n' Slippers Saturday

Butternut Squash Soup

Utah winters, I confess, are a love/hate relationship for me. Although I love the variety of four seasons, I spend too many months sandwiched between the crunchy carcass of once-upon-a-time fluffy snow and gray-drab inversion. Somewhere mid-January to mid-February I start to feel oatmeal-bland blah~ I retreat to my hole and hibernate. But there is nothing like curling up with a warm bowl of soup while wearing snuggly-cozy slippers. Hence, the birth of Soup n' Slippers Saturday. This week features Butternut Squash Soup.


I have tried many versions of this soup. Most recipes include hybrids of these ingredient combinations:

onions
butter
squash puree
chicken stock (or bouillon)
some spices
heavy cream

I wanted to make it more health-conscious than heavy cream but still wanted the decadence and creamy texture. I tried fat free cream cheese. It was AMAZING. (Honestly, one of my more brilliant moments.)

Here's how it all came together:

6 Tbsp chopped onion
3 Tbsp butter
6 C peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups chicken stock
8 oz. cream cheese (I used fat free)

(Saute onions in the butter until tender. Add squash and chicken stock and spices. Bring to boil. Cook 20 minutes until squash is tender. Puree squash with 8 oz. cream cheese until smooth. Return to pot and heat through. )

The spices I used:

dried marjoram
salt/pepper
cayenne pepper
nutmeg

Some variations that are yummy:

Chop and peel 3 granny smith apples and saute with the onions until tender. Sprinkle some cinnamon on the finished soup for a warm, harvesty flavor.