Sunday, January 3, 2010

Mozzarella Ball Salad

I don't often make this salad, because a small package of mozzarella balls at Walmart's deli is three dollars.  To me, that's a bit expensive for a side dish.  So maybe I need to view it as a main dish!  It is seriously divine with the fresh mozzarella!  And of course, hooray for balsamic vinegar, my favorite sidekick!


Short How-To

Put all ingredients in a bowl and toss.  You can marinate it for awhile, chill it, or serve immediately.

Long How-To

1 package small mozzarella balls (package is about as big as your fist; the balls are no larger than a thumbprint)
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped (you can skin it, if you wish; I keep half the skin on, like stripes)
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Basil is optional, which could replace the cucumber to make it more like caprese salad in a bowl.  I really enjoy the freshness of the cucumber in combination with the acidity of the tomato, though.

Do you know the difference between chopped, diced, and minced?  I do now, so let me share.  Chopped, diced, and minced follow this simple pattern for chunkc: big, medium, and small.  Or in my mind: medium, small, and tiny.  There is no precise measurement, according to some chefs.  Just keep in mind:

chopped--big chunks, like a piece of potato salad
diced--medium chunks, like a kernel of corn
minced--so small that it could blend into something