Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sunday Sweets: Chocolate Éclairs

Guest Blogger: Golden Grahams

I have experiemnted with three different eclair recipes.  Finally, when I went to a cooking demonstration in the home of a neighbor lady, I got the best recipe, and I will never use another one.  I've been doing eclairs for a few years now, and they are a favorite in our family.  All the grandkids love them.  I eat mine with a plate and fork, but most others eat with their fingers.  Chocolate frosting adds a zip that I like.  Don't be disappointed if they fall.  You can still eat the flat cake with the pudding and frosting!  I hope you enjoy them; they've been a favorite in our family.

Eclair Shell

1 c water
1 stick butter
1 c flour
4 eggs

Place water and butter in saucepan and bring to a boil.  Take off stove and stir in flour all at once until a ball forms.  Let cool for 10 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time and stir until completely combined and smooth after each addition.  If you see any egg white showing, you must beat it more until it's very smooth.

Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment-lined cookie sheet.  I have the best luck with parchment, and not a greased baking sheet.

Bake 30 minutes until light brown.  I have the best luck with 33 minutes, because sometimes they will fall if they're not cooked enough!  When I bake them a little longer, they stay firm.  When the shells are cool, cut off about 1/3 of the top with a sharp, serrated knife, and take out the inside webbing with your fingers, making it as hollow as you can.

Pudding Filling

We use my daughter's recipe (Mama Monkey) for creamy pie filling as the eclair center. 

In a pan on medium heat, mix:

2/3 c sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 c cornstarch

Wisk with a wire whip.  Add 3 c milk, and 4 egg yolks.  Wisk more with wire whip.  When it boils, take it off the heat and add:

1 T butter
1 t vanilla
1/4 t almond flavoring

When filling is cooled, fill the hollowed cream puffs, and replace tops.

Swirl, stripe, or spoon chocolate frosting over the tops.

Chocolate Frosting

2 c powdered sugar
5 T cocoa
pinch of salt
2 T melted butter
Milk added to make it your desired thickness