Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday Sweets: Crockpot Apple Sauce

I've been reading up on how to make your own applesauce, and there are many different versions.  After twice buying a bag of apples that ended up mushy, mealy, and flavorless, I decided to use them up and try the method for myself.  I'm not sure how to express in words how extremely pleased I was with the outcome...it was just fantastic!  I usually dislike store-bought applesauce, but I could eat this homemade stuff every day!  I especially enjoyed it alongside a crunchy honey granola bar and some rich vanilla yogurt (I even mixed up all three elements in the same bowl!).  It was like an apple pie, just without the fat from the buttery crust.  Oh my goodness! 

This is what worked for me:

Peel, core, and cut apples.  Place in crockpot. 
Add a bit of water, but not too much (no more than 1 or 2 cups for a full crock of apples.  You don't want to end up with apple cider instead.  You can always add more water later).
Add any combination of the following: white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, lemon juice (I added a bit of everything).
Simmer in crockpot on low for 8 hours.

After the apples are cooked and soft, use a potato masher to create a chunky sauce.  If you want it smooth, run everything quickly through a blender after the apples have cooled.  If you want your sauce thinner, add a little water.  You can also create a smooth and chunky combination by employing both methods and mixing the two sauces.

To die for, I tell you.  To die for!