Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Easy Hummus

Don't pay five bucks for a teeny carton of hummus in the deli section! It is so easy to make, and is an awesome source of protein, plus tastes great with vegetable sticks and slices.

You can make this in either a blender, food processor, or Magic Bullet. I've done all three. Just be sure to scrape the sides and stir a few times until it is smooth.

I usually don't make mine with garlic; I just make it more lemony. You can add garlic, though, because hummus usually has a strong garlic flavor! Plus, I leave out the tahini (sesame seed paste), even though it tastes good, because it is expensive. This easy hummus still tastes so good!

Hummus tastes best with: carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber slices, red bell pepper slices, and pita chips, and whole wheat tortillas.

1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drain half the water
Juice from 1 lemon, or squeeze desired amount from bottle
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 t minced garlic, optional



















I took this group of foods with me on an overnight work trip.  It saved me!